This sign hangs on the wall in my room directly across from my bed. My Mom got it for me for my 16th birthday, and every time I look at it, I think about the goodness of my Savior.
The Bible promises so many amazing things that we could never begin to fathom, much less deserve. And you know what the best part is?
“For no matter how many promises God has made, they are “Yes” in Christ.” — 2 Corinthians 1:20
How amazing is that? All of God’s promises are faithful and true, and they are all fulfilled through Christ. I don’t know about you, but that gets me excited! There are hundreds of promises in the Bible and these are just a few of my favorites:
- “My grace is sufficient for you” — 2 Corinthians 12:9
- “His mercies are new every morning” — Lamentations 3:23
- “Come to me all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest” — Matthew 11:28
- “Those who trust in the LORD will renew their strength, they will soar on wings like eagles, they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint” — Isaiah 40:31
- “No! In all these things we are more than victorious through Him who loved us.” — Romans 8:37
There’s plenty of things that the Bible doesn’t promise too, and that’s where we often get hung up and let our perspective turn sour. The Bible, for instance, doesn’t promise that God will show us His plans for our entire lives and careers our senior year of high school so we can accurately pick a college and major. We would sure like to think that He does, but it often doesn’t pan out that way.
But what does He promise?
He promises that His ways are so much higher than ours (Isaiah 55:8-9), that they are for our welfare (Jeremiah 29:11), and that He will direct our paths (Proverbs 3:6). And these promises all ring true and are trustworthy, whether we believe it or not.
Again, we would like to think that God promises that life will be safe and painless, when, in reality, Jesus said quite the opposite (John 16:33)
This week has thrown me some curveballs, but standing on the promises of my Eternal King has helped me to stay strong and positive and remember that it all comes back to Him in the first place.